andPrior to becoming an attorney, John gained valuable hands’ on experience with the fields of law he practices today. He obtained his undergraduate degree from Appalachian State University. While attending Appalachian State, John worked for the Town of Boone Planning Department, was the student representative on the Town of Boone Planning Board and completed an internship with the Harnett County Planning Department.
After graduation, John worked as a land use planner for multiple local governments in North Carolina. John accepted a position with the United States Department of Defense and moved to Washington D.C. With the Department of Defense, John worked in a variety of positions as a cartographer, contracting officer and in the agency’s international office.
While employed with the Department of Defense, John obtained a master’s degree in International Affairs from The Catholic University of America. John obtained his law degree from the University of Memphis School of Law. While attending law school John completed internships with the Untied States Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Tennessee and multiple private law firms.
After graduating from law school, John and his wife Cara, decided to move back home. For over two decades John has practiced law and served his community. He has served on transportation and land use committees for the Town of Fuquay-Varina and in 2018, John served in the North Carolina House of Representatives representing Southern Wake County. John currently serves on the board of directors for the Triangle Community Coalition, First Bank’s Wake County Advisory Board, the board of Capital Area Preservation and the North Carolina Turnpike Authority.
John is married with two children. In his free time he enjoys working on his family’s farm, fishing the lower Cape Fear River region, hiking the high country of North Carolina and spending time with his family.
- Juris Doctor, The University of Memphis, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law, Memphis Tennessee.
- Master of Arts, International Affairs, The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.
- Bachelor of Science, Community/Regional Planning and Geography (Double Major), Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina
- Admitted to practice in the State of North Carolina and the United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
- Member of the Real Property Section of the North Carolina Bar Association.
- Member of the Zoning, Planning and Land Use Section of the North Carolina Bar Association.
- Associate Member of the North Carolina Municipal Attorney’s Association.
- Participated in the 2019 North Carolina Bar Association Public Service Academy
- Town of Fuquay-Varina Chamber of Commerce
- Town of Holly Springs Chamber of Commerce
- Member of the Fuquay-Varina Downtown Association
- 2022 Board of Directors North Carolina Turnpike Authority
- 2018 Representative in the North Carolina House of Representatives for House District 37.
- Board of Directors for Capital Area Preservation
- Board of Directors of the Triangle Community Coalition
- Board of Directors of the First Bank Wake County Advisory Board
- Recipient of the Fuquay-Varina Chamber of Commerce 2017 Leadership Award.
- Member of the 2016 Town of Fuquay-Varina Steering Committees for the adoption of a unified development ordinance, land use plan update and transportation plan update
- 2015 Chairman of the Fuquay-Varina Now – Transportation Bond Referendum Committee
- 2016 recipient of an honorable mention Maggy Award for Best of Western Wake for Attorneys by Cary Magazine.
- Recipient of the Martindale-Hubbell Client Distinction Award for 2015
- Voted the 2008 Best Lawyer in Holly Springs by the readers of the Holly Springs Sun newspaper.
- Member of Holy Trinity Anglican Church, Raleigh, N.C.
- Since 2001, owner of Adcock Law Firm, P.A. A transactional and litigation practice focusing on commercial real estate, residential real estate, zoning, land use law, government regulations and small businesses
- 1993 to 1997. The National Imagery and Mapping Agency. Worked as a cartographer, contracting officer and in the international office. Collected, mapped and analyzed information for military and intelligence purposes. Coordinated VIP tours of the agency’s sensitive compartmental information facilities. Acted as liaison between the agency and private contractors. Administered international agreements and on behalf of the agency, provided technical support to foreign governments.
- 1992 to 1993. Planner in the Harnett County Planning Department. Implemented and enforced countywide zoning and subdivision regulations.
- 1991 to 1992. Planner for the Town of Long Beach (now known as Oak Island). Developed, implemented and enforced municipal land use ordinances and land use plans
WHAT WE DO
Adcock Law Firm
Fuquay Varina, NC 27526
© 2021 Adcock Law Firm. All rights Reserved.